Monday, April 20, 2020

COVID-19 journal, March 25, 2020

Today I invited my mother outside for a walk. It was just over 40 degrees out, but she'd been inside for 15 days and we both needed a visit.  I brought her some cabbage salad I'd made, and she came outside where I waited like a neighbor kid waiting for a playmate.  She was just out of the shower with her hair dryer in hand, and plugged it in outside and we laughed together while she dried her hair in her breezeway. Then we made a slow walk all the way down the street and talked about the birds and the neighbors and paint colors. I told her about a recipe I'd found of grandma's, a cherry jello mold with a dressing made from sour cream, blackberry jam and a pinch of dry mustard.  She bent over in the street laughing.  We mostly stayed six feet away from each other, but it's unnatural to not be closer.

  • There are close to 150 COVID cases in Maine.
  • Tom works downstairs, mostly telling people to calm down. I can hear his soothing tone through the floorboards.
  • .Sweet potatoes with black beans and cheddar for dinner
  • Second jigsaw puzzle almost done
  • Put on eyeliner today because - just because - even though no one sees me, but I look so faded.
  • Cleaned the top of the kitchen cabinets for maybe the first time since they were installed in 1997, and even though I have nothing but time, I still only took maybe 10 minutes and didn't do a good job.
  • Ordered fresh produce delivered today, and have never been so excited to see a vegetable.
  • Summer Olympics postponed one year
  • Will not watch or listen to any news or discussion of news after 4PM to keep my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment