Sunday, March 8, 2015

shoveling snow




As the snow slowed
and the sky moved toward night,
I’d go out with my brother
to help him shovel the pathway from our house,
to help him clear the driveway and the sidewalk.
He used a snow shovel,
I used the brass shovel from the fireplace set,
the one meant for ashes,
Not for snow.


He’d clear a path wide
like my father asked,
not just the width of a shovel
like he wanted to make,
And I would try to help
with the brass shovel
that swiveled,
dropping each scoopful of snow
out of the shovel
back onto the sidewalk.


I’d quit
before crying,
and I’d smooth the snow with my wet mittens
and make a sofa
out of the snowbank
where I could sit
and watch him.


The snow would glitter in the the streetlight,
and we would yell
and wave our arms at the oncoming plow
as it shoved the snow
back into our driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment