Sunday, February 15, 2015

Bowling for gym


Strangely, I work there now,
In the same building
where we had bowling
for gym
downstairs.


Now I park my car
in the lot where the van had left us,
walk past the door that led to the lanes
I don’t clearly remember,
and I go upstairs to an office
in the building
where I was in 4th grade.


Sometimes the door leading down
is open,
and the steps to where I think I bowled
are dangerous
and the walls crumbly
and water dripping,
and a workman’s lamp
hooked onto a wire
lights a damp way down.


What could I remember
about bowling underground
when I was 9?
I, who had a tortoise named Tootie
that only I remember,
I, with a distinct, unshared memory
of the neighbor
chasing me down my street with a rifle
after I’d crept onto his lawn
with other kids,
I, with a great grandmother I remember sleeping
in the top bunk
at a nursing home
as if 90 year old women in nursing homes
had bunk beds?

Who could I ask if we’d truly bowled
in a basement alley
where I was a little girl
and now am 51?

No comments:

Post a Comment