Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Please leave a message


We're letting the home phone go tomorrow.
The number our children have known
and could recite at a clip since they were small
seveneightonethreeeightnineeight!
will no longer be ours.

The only ones who call us on it
are our alma maters for money
and recorded voices
to remind us about dental appointments
or to take a survey
or vote.

The answering machine will go with it,
as will the message my mother said makes me sound
like I'm laughing in the middle,
or sneezing.

The message from before then 
everyone knew 
and still misses.
Please leave a message when you hear la beep
they yelled.
she couldn't say the.
Thank you, they'd said in unison, small children
saying thank you the way 
small children do
when they're told to.

My daughter called one more time
to say goodbye.
Why does this make me so sad?
I miss our phone number.
Now the number I have marked Home isn't for home
anymore.
How will I reach you?
Will someone else get our phone number?
It's the one I'd planned to call if I were kidnapped.
Oh well, I hope the new people who get our number are nice.

This is the same daughter who used an old phone we had
to talk to her great grandfather after he died.
It was a red phone.
She called it the dead phone. 

This is the same daughter who misses every age 
the night before she turns a new one,
who said she'd never forgive us for getting rid of the old sofa
and would never sit on the new one.
I hate change, she told me,
like it was news.

My family can recite old numbers impressively.
8924092 was the lake
7746814 was Gisi's 
7722652 was my dad's office.
My mother can recall her childhood number
on Clinton Street 
where she hasn't lived in 70 years.

I understand my daughter's sadness,
the loss of old numbers,
the way to reach those most loved people
in places most familiar and safe
with all our childhood 
at the other end of the line.

.





No comments:

Post a Comment