Monday, December 1, 2014

320 Danforth Street


Breathe in.
The smell of our house after we’d been away,
The smell of dinner downstairs.
Of cabbage,
Of fire.
Of summer, mildew, home.




The radiator where I’d drape wet mittens to dry,
After playing in the snow.
The radiator where I’d hidden
my uneaten sandwiches,
After school,
Because they were tuna with mung beans,
Unsprouted,
And fishy.
Because I foolishly believed no one would find them there,
Because it took years before anyone did.
Never thinking instead to ask for a different lunch,
Or to throw away the sandwiches
Before I’d left for home.




The living room,
The ballet recitals 
Given by me,
To an imagined audience,
In a leotard with snaps at the crotch,
And sagging tights with seams showing
In un-Danskin places,
With ballet slippers I’d wished were toe shoes.
Lit by the light of the slide projector,
Plugged in for me,
No slides,
Just the light shining on my dancing.
Just me,
On the fireplace hearth,
Famous.




The room of glass never heated,
Even with a woodstove.
Yet my mother brought
Blue and white mugs,
Packets of powdered hot chocolate,
Spoons,
Small cloth napkins,
Russian Spice Tea we'd bought,
Because we liked the smell,
Even though we didn’t like tea,
And put them all in a small set of cardboard drawers,
with little plastic loops for drawer pulls.
The room was so cold.
Yet my mother brought
A kettle to put on the stove,
And we’d wait for the water to heat.
We’d ready our tea in our mugs,
and we’d pour the almost hot water
over it,
And we’d sit
and sip
Until it was too cold to sit and sip.
And pretend we were warm
While the snow fell outside.  




Out of the tub just before 7
On a Sunday
So I could sit
In my flannel nightgown
With a towel around my wet hair
At the foot of my parents’ bed
and watch
Disney




I wasn’t allowed in
Without his permission.
His room was dark
And smelly
And private.
He was sure I wanted to be in his room,
Which was true.
He rigged an alarm to sound
whenever I opened the door.
I learned over time
To open it
slowly,
So slowly,
And could enter without a sound,
And could look through his desk,
And take his money,
and put the small rubber bands from his braces
Around my tongue,
Dividing it into two
Or three,
Like sausage links.


I marked the sunrise
in pencil,
Just a small dot,
Hidden in the confusion
of blue flowers
and swirls.
No dates,
No times,
Just when I happened to notice
its light
as it smoothed its way
along the walls
of my bedroom.

He locked me in
While I was in the tub,
Or looking at myself in the mirror,
Or looking at the neighbors out the window.
I didn’t hear him turn one of the locks,
But when I’d hear him turn the other,
I was locked in.
Screaming.
Let me out!
Let me out!
I hate you!

I imagined opening the window and climbing somehow onto the high sill
and squeezing through
the too small space
And jumping down
the too high height
And dying
Or breaking all my bones
And wait until I tell!
Wait until they find out!
I hate you!
Let me out!

Crying,
Sobbing,
Until he let me out
With no apology.
Baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment