Wednesday, November 12, 2014

I couldn’t take the doorway,
The inaccurate labels, moved
By my brother more interested
In humor than facts,
The ones that peel,
Me taller at seven than he at 14,


The ones carved into the frame,
Me at two, at five, my sister at 17,
My dad,
My dog somehow, taller at one than I was at two.
Did we hold up his willing paws?


Stand up straight.
Don’t tilt your head back.
Don’t stand on the little rise.
Cheating!
Stand flat on the floor.
No shoes.


Now step away. Look how you’ve grown.


One year I grew 4 inches.
Around the corner my children grew
and my husband started growing
when we met
and he could stand on the doorjamb
and be taller by half an inch.

Will the frame with its carpenter pencil etchings
stay?
Will they think it quaint
And heartwarming
To see the height of us all
In their new kitchen?

No comments:

Post a Comment